Saturday, September 13, 2008

A wet day for a walk....but well worth it!

Today we did our first JDRF walk for a cure. With the help of our family we were able to reach our goal and raised some money to go towards finding a cure for diabetes. We also participated in a 5K walk that took place about an hour and a half from our house. We woke up to LOTS of rain (I'm not talking about a few sprinkles!). We packed up and headed to the walk in hopes the rain would be gone. Ha! It was a nice thought - but didn't happen. So, we put on ponchos and raincoats and did the walk anyway. It was great. Our kids were such good sports even though they were soaking wet and cold. We are truly grateful for the contributions made by our families. It's amazing how much progress has been made and continues to be made in the diabetes world. I marvel each day at Ethan. He is such a good sport to be pricked all day long and have a minimum of 4 shots a day. He does it and rarely complains. We have learned a lot about diabetes and caring for Ethan over the past couple of years. We were grateful to be part of this walk today and look forward to doing it each year!
Our sweet Ethan
Lucas didn't know what to think of the day. We woke up to no electricity due to the weather. So, we got ready in the dark with flashlights. Then we drove a good distance only to cut holes in a garbage bag for a poncho and put it on him. He didn't like it but settled into the stroller where he sat in the rain for over and hour. I wonder what must have been going through his mind!!!

Just like the rest of us, Lucy got nice and wet. Good thing we had a change of clothes for everyone in the car!

The kids had fun walking and riding in the wagon when their legs were tired.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

wow! you are troopers! the rain would have been a huge deterrent for me. scott's nephew just got diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. it has been interesting to here from my sister-in-law what they have learned about it so far.

the pictures are so cute! lucas and lucy look so much alike to me.

Jacks said...

This is so great. Thank you for sharing this. I don't know much about diabetes in children. Will Ethan's shots ever decrease? Or will it always be 4 shots a day?

I love that you took your family out in the rain for a great experience.

Becky said...

Go Amy! I love that you are being pro-active for your child. What a great MOM you are and an excellent example to so many. Ethan is lucky to have you. (and he is super cute!)

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

How neat that you guys were able to do that....and I am impressed that all of you made it through the rain!!!

AmyJune said...

rain- what's that? Sometimes I forget that it really does rain in most parts of the country. Good for you guys!!!!

Sonja said...

That is so awesome! I can't believe you walked in the rain. I am so inspired by you and your family!