Sunday, June 03, 2007
Festa Junina
We had a very fun weekend. We were invited to go to a Festa Junina party with some friends. During the months of June and July Brazilians celebrate this. It started as a celebration of 3 Saints in the month of June. It was celebrated by the people who lived in rural areas. They would have parties, bonfires, dancing, fireworks, etc. The people in the city liked what they did so brought the celebrating to the city but wanted to keep the cowboy feel to the celebration so now people dress up as "caipiras" (cowboys). The kids LOVED dressing up and we had lots of fun enjoying some Brazilian festivities!!


When Lucas was born a friend made this hat for him. I never thought he'd wear it here but he actually got a chance this weekend!! Isn't it cute on him?
We had to take this picture because it is sooooo Brazilian to us. Check out the table - full of Gaurana (the beverage choice for brazilians) and meat on a stick. This stick of meat costs $1 and it is THE BEST meat you could ever have. It is soooooo good!!
The kids had fun playing some games.
Here is Steffen(our German friend) eating corn - another typical food for this holiday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This looks like such a fun event for your family! Also, am I mistaken, or are you wearing a turtleneck in these pictures? I'm sure you're welcoming the change in weather!
YES!!! I am wearing a turtleneck. When i put it on i told andy i felt like a real person again. This is my kind of outfit!!! Can you believe it is actually cold enough to wear this? I'm so happy!
I wonder if the corn was as good as the one I bought on the beach in Floripa:) hee hee
How fun for you guys.
Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! What fun brazilian adventures you guys are having. I'm glad you are taking part in these traditions...just don't become so engulfed by the culture that you think it is alright to come home wearing speedo's (like ryan thought is was okay to do). :)
That looks like a lot of fun! I think it is neat that you are taking advantage of doing some of these Brazilian traditions while you are there....cool! Amy....your hair is long! I like it!
Wow! What a fun time. You will be bringing home so many memories! The kids are adorable :)
Post a Comment