Several weeks ago I invited a couple of girls from our ward to bring their kids swimming at our house. Before they left their husbands ended up coming over too. It was starting to get late and we didn't have much food in the house but I felt like I should offer to have them in. After asking if they wanted to come in and eat the bishop responded, "No, we should get going. I'd only take you up on your offer if you were going to make pancakes." Of course! I had everything to make pancakes. So, they all came in and we ended up making waffles ( I still had to borrow eggs from our neighbors - which I'm not sure people really do that here! Oh well! We really had no food in our house that day) Anyway, a few days later Dianna told me she wanted us to go to their house and learn to make Brazilian pancakes with meat in them. So, last night we all got together and made salty pancakes and they were very good. I now have one more item I can cook each week. I think I am up to about 10 different things I know how to make here! Yeah, cooking is not a strong point for me here! Andy will think he's died and gone to heaven once we get back home and I am cooking real food again!
This is Dianna showing me how to make the batter

This is what they look like cooking

Here is Elainie helping to prepare them

And here is everyone enjoying the food - although this picture does not reveal the FIT Ethan threw when his fell apart and he realized there was ham inside and suddenly he hated ham and has never liked ham. You've got to LOVE those 3 year old fits while everyone is looking on and nothing the child is doing or saying makes sense!!
5 comments:
how fun to learn how to make some authentic brazilian meals. and speaking of FITS, we've had quite our share of them with our ethan this weekend. i'm hoping they'll start to subside once he's 4, because i don't think we can handle them.
also, i don't remember if i ever commented on lucy's cleaning habits, but its so funny because ethan has some ocd tendencies when it comes to chores, himself. in fact, he and grace happily spent 20 minutes the other day with a couple of brooms outside sweeping the deck. simple pleasures!
I love those!!!!! That was one of my most favorite things to eat on my mission. I don't know how to make them so you will have to teach me when you get back.
Amy,
The pictures made me a little teary! I couldn't help but notice the tiny little stove Diane had to cook on. These people are such humble, happy people. Their home looked nice, compared to what you showed me in your ward when I was there. Was that your Bishop's house? Anyway, I hope you are savoring the things you are doing. When you get home I guarantee, you will wonder why you didn't appreciate your experiences more! (Not that you aren't...it's just human nature, I think, to look back and be amazed at the experiences and opportunities you had. So glad these friends invited you to do that. Love, Mom
Where have I been? I guess I was waiting for your email that you've updated your blog (because that's what you usually do). I feel like I've missed so much! Maybe you should make us Brazilian pancakes at the reunion this summer. Also, Lucy looks so cute cleaning the house!
Amy...it looks like you are having a good time over in Brazil. What a fun experience. Our family might move to England in a couple years, which I think would be fun. Fun to see your cute family!
Post a Comment