Friday, December 15, 2006

Sharing some traditions with the Brazilians

It seems that since we arrived I am constantly asking people how to get to places, where to shop, how to cook..... So, it has been nice to share a few things finally and do some things for other people. For Thanksgiving we had a family from our ward come and experience a Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn't a full on Thanksgiving meal as we didn't have some of the salads I typically like to make (for lack of ingredients here) and instead of a turkey we had chicken (because they only sell turkeys at Christmas time). However, we did have homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, chicken, gravy, rolls, veges, and best of all homemade apple pie! It was the best meal I've had since we arrived. It was fun to share it with a Brazilian family. Our kitchen was sooooo hot and I was so sweaty by the time we sat down but it was all worth it. (notice Ethan isn't at the table. Too bad he was still taking a nap - we could actually enjoy our meal!! sorry ethan!)


We had Fernanda and Camilla over to make salt dough Christmas tree ornaments. They were pretty fascinated with the process. A week later we had them over to do almost the same type of thing - make sugar cookies and frost them. The kids LOVED it and Ethan seemed to think any cookie he frosted he had to eat before frosting the next one. When I finally told him no more cookies he seemed OK with it.I looked over at him a few minutes later only to find his hand full of sprinkles. He had dumped almost the entire jar into his hand and was happily eating away!!




Brazilians don't know what waffles or pancakes are. Fernanda use to live in the United States. One day she told me she LOVED waffles and pancakes. Come to find out she was talking about frozen waffles and pancakes. She had no idea you could make them. So, she was very happy to learn how to make them and even had her husband buy a waffle iron on a trip he took to St. Joseph not too long ago.


When we first moved here I did whatever I could to get syrup sent to us. It became a big hassle and got held up in customs. Since then we have had it delivered to us from people who come to visit from St. Joseph for work. Anyway all of Andy's co-workers somehow became very aware of his wifes desperate need for syrup. So, we had some work friends over to try waffles, pancakes and the syrup they had heard soooooo much about. We did a big breakfast dinner with pancakes, eggs, bacon, waffles, syrup, and juice. It was really fun and they all seemed to like it.

Camilla is such a sweetheart! She came to our waffle party and is expecting her first baby in April. Before leaving she really wanted a picture with the moms to be! (so for those of you who keep asking to see a picture of me pregnant...here I am at 8 months pregnant and feeling pretty huge!!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun to be able to share a little big of home with your Brazilian friends! You look amazing! We can't wait for your Brazilian boy to make his appearance! Did you check out the air conditioning situation in the hospital?

AmyJune said...

Sounds like a fun party. I could never really get into Brasilian bacon-too fatty.

Anonymous said...

I love this post--thanks for sharing what you are up to! It's funny the little things you miss when you are somewhere else! I especially love the story of Ethan and the cookies--he must be related to Lydia! She is obsessed with eating Christmas treats and could probably eat an entire jar of sprinkles if I let her!

Ralph and Teresa said...

Amy...what a sweet experience to share with your friends. I'm impressed because I know you are HOT, TIRED, and would just as soon lay around and take the "load" off your feet! These are the things that will make you happy though, aren't they?

libia said...

apenas estoy aprendiendo yo casi no se nada amy yo toco botones pero ya se quye solo son mias es verdad ya lo quite del facebook perdonameeeeeeeeeeeeee jajjajajajaja ahora si estoy feliz en mi cumpleaƱos ..........