Monday, May 10, 2010

Mini Marathon

Training was done

Company arrived

Pasta was served

Bags were packed

Race numbers were picked up

Hotel keys were handed out

All were asleep

Eyes were opened before alarm clock sounded

Shoes were laced up

Protein bar and bananas were eaten

Two friends were reunited

Over 40,000 people were waiting at the starting line

Wind was blowing

The race was started

Twenty minutes later the starting line was crossed

Bands were playing - people were singing

Water was handed out

The Indy Speedway was run upon

Gel packs were consumed

Two hours and ten minutes later the finish line was crossed and 13.1 miles had been run!

Eric, Amy, Lisa, and Joe

This was THE BEST race I have ever been in. I have never been running with so many people. If you ever get the chance to run the mini marathon in Indianapolis you should. It was a blast. My brother Eric came with his family to visit the day before the race and then he ran the race. Lisa also came and we ran it together and talked the entire 2 hours and 10 minutes that it took us to finish. Joe also ran it and managed to finish with a great time and bad knee!

Sara (Joe's wife) came to cheer us on along with Andy and the kids and Katie and her kids. We had quite the cheering squad even though we never saw each other!
Amy and Eric

Amy and Lisa

After the race we went to the Children's museum with Lisa's family and then they came to stay at our house for the night. It was tons of fun and we hated to see them all leave.Andy is always so good to support me in my running adventures. He got the kids ready and fed and out in the cold to cheer me on. It was a lot of work and effort. I took this picture of him sleeping at the Children's museum after the race. I think the mini marathon wore him out!!

6 comments:

Kara and Kevin said...

Great job Amy! Sounds like a great race! What an accomplishment and how fun that Eric ran it with you!

Camie said...

Great recap of your race--I love how your medals have the black and white checkered flags on them--very Indianapolis! Awesome job Amy! You should feel so proud of yourself!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

Amy--
That is awesome! Good for you!!! That is amazing....perhaps some day we can run together! I miss you a ton!!!

Katie and Eric said...

Thank you for letting us come. We had such a great time. You did an amazing job. I am tempted to come back next year and run it.

Christie said...

Way to go!

I remember going to that same Children's Museum with my cousins when we were kids and loving it. Do they still have the room where you get to dress up like firemen?

Sara said...

Hooray! Congrats again. What a huge accomplishment!

I loved the recap.