Friday, April 03, 2009

Lessons Learned!

This has been the craziest week ever. Here are a few lessons I have learned:

1) Never have a garage sale!
2) If you have a garage sale never do it ALONE with young kids around!
3) If you do have a garage sale that is supposed to start at 9:00 am don't allow a person to knock on your door at 7 am, get you out of bed, and ask to take an early view of your garage sale (and walk away buying nothing)
4) If you do have a garage sale never do it a day after listing your house on the market!!
5) If you do have a garage sale don't let the people parked out by your driveway at 8:00am intimidate you into opening an hour early in hopes you can get rid of them and finish making your listed house spotless, give shots to your diabetic son, feed the kids and finish pricing last minute items. Once you open for one they come out in herds and don't stop.
6) Never have a garage sale when your 2 year old has just entered the wonderful world of terrible twos. It can be really embarrassing!
7)Never have a garage sale and list your house in the same week when you are 30 weeks pregnant and experiencing pre term labor.
8)Just take all of your junk to Good Will and you will make as much money on your tax break as you will actually make on your sales!
9) Be EXTREMELY grateful for good friends and neighbors who offer a helping hand when needed without being asked! (Thanks Lisa, Natalie, Vern, Denise, and Amberly)

I am glad the week is almost over and look forward to a wonderful two days of General Conference!!

9 comments:

R and R said...

Sounds like a crazy week...you are moving? Moving is crazy and even crazier with kids, a new baby, etc. And yes, 9 times out of 10 it is just better to haul all the junk to Good Will and be DONE! :) Good luck!!!

Emily said...

Yikes Amy! Hope you are able to take it easy, as much as you are able. I'm totally with you about garage sales, so much easier to drop it off at G.oodwill or DI.

Jenni said...

Wow, I'm so glad I read this post. I was seriously considering a yard sale this June, but now I'm rethinking the whole thing! I don't know much about garage sale frequenters, but they sound like a crazy bunch. I hope you'll take it easy now!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

you have confirmed why i love good will! i always think maybe i should have a garage sale, then i think about the work it would take, and bail out!!! sounds like i am wise to do so!!! glad you are done with it, anyway! and thanks for a lesson taught!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, Amy! That sounds like pure craziness! Did you at least make some good money?

AmyJune said...

Sounds fun. Hopefully you made a little money.

N. Tipps said...

Yeah, you should've dogged the garage sale and come to McD's with Kristen and me.

Christie said...

I will remember you good advice when we move...someday. Take care!

J-Rod said...

Where are you moving to?