Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Madrid

We flew from Barcelona to Madrid and after checking into our hotel we went to the Royal Palace which is still in use today. It was HUGE!

I love these gardens

One of the funniest things of the entire trip happened in this moment. Some women who couldn't speak English or Spanish approached us wanting us to pay them if they'd give us back rubs. Well I am never one to turn down a back rub. However, we kept telling them "No!" But then the lady said she'd just quickly show me how it'd feel and she lowered the price. I was totally stuck. How could I possibly say no. It felt good after a LONG day of walking. Not only did we get awesome back and head rubs but then they ripped off our shoes and socks and rubbed our nasty sweaty feet. Amy and I were laughing sooooo hard. It was definitely a moment you had to be there for but I will never forget it! (I think it was entertaining for our husbands! They just sat back taking pictures of us and shooing off others trying to give them back rubs!)

We LOVED the old people in Spain. They were all over the place and always dressed up really nice like this man. They dress up fancy just to go feed the pigeons or take a walk through the park. So cute!

Look at the cool buildings in the background. Everywhere you go in Barcelona and Madrid the buildings look like this. They are old but BEAUTIFUL!!! We were very impressed with how clean and well kept everything was. I love all of the colorful buildings too.
Check out the size of this fish!!
Bull Fight
I was really excited when we got tickets to a bull fight. I thought it was guy running round trying not to get killed by a bull. I thought it was more like a rodeo. Well, obviously I didn't know what a bull fight was really all about......
They spear the bull who knows how many times and put on a show throughout the evening. Ultimately the bull falls to it's death. They did this to 6 bulls the night we went. It felt a bit barbaric although I will say it was fascinating to see this part of their culture. I would never choose to see another fight again though.
And the ice cream happened just about everyday. It is soooooo good and we walked soooooo many miles everyday that we probably should have had 2 ice creams a day!!! Ha!

1 comment:

Camie said...

Amy--
I totally hear you about the old people in Spain--I took a lot of pictures of the old guys who played chess in my neighborhood!! But I forgot about it until your post. You have some really great pictures and it really looks like you had an amazing trip--can you believe you actually saw those things with your own eyes?? Amazing.