
I recently finished reading both of these books. I started with A thousand splendid suns. I started the book not knowing what it was about. By the end of the book I was in disbelief that women could be treated so cruelly! I just finished the Princess book last night and can't seem to quit thinking about it. I can't understand how in the late 1900's and still today this kind of treatment toward women is allowed!! How can it be allowed? I keep thinking there must be something I could do - but not sure what. Although I feel like I can't help I do keep thinking about the fact that I am FREE to do what I want and when I want. I am educated. I got to choose who I married. I can state my opinion without fear of being stoned to death. I don't live in fear of my husband and and other men. I am FREE. I think of freedom as a right - something everyone is or should be granted but am reminded everyone doesn't enjoy the freedoms we do. Sometimes when I think life is hard or not fair or I'm bugged because the kids are getting on my nerves hopefully I will remember these books and realize life just isn't that bad for me. All day today I have felt that because we have these great freedoms we better not sit around and be idle. We better enjoy these freedoms and do GOOD things with our lives. Some people would give anything to live like we do. If you are looking for a good uplifting book these are not the books for you. They are a bit depressing and unfortunately there is no happy ending. The stories in these books are tragic. However, they were eye opening and reminded me of the good life I have and like we've heard often "where much is given much is required".


3 comments:
Thanks for the recommendations! I have the Thousand Splendid Suns book, but I haven't read it--I guess I'm gearing myself up for it! I know it's a hard read!
I loved loved loved A THousand Splendid Suns. I haven't read Princess so I will have to read it. Another good book to read is Bookseller of Kabul. I too am amazed at how horrible it is to be a women in many parts of the world in today's day and age. That's why it makes me so upset when I hear about girls here in the US who do nothing with their lives except dream of their knight in shining armor who will come sweep them off their feet and take care of all of their problems. I want to scream at them to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities that are ours to become something useful. (obviously I will keep Julia as far away from the whole Disney Princess garbage as I possibly can)
I will have to read these. It is amazing how lucky we are and yet how horrible some people's lives are. It really makes you stop and be grateful for all the small things, thanks for the recommendation.
Post a Comment