Saturday, October 13, 2007

And we wonder why Americans are so obese!!

Remember when you played soccer as a child and were handed orange slices at the end of the game. Well, things have changed. The league Lucy has played on this fall (AYSO) hands a ticket to every child at the end of each game. With the ticket they can go to the concession stand and buy candy, popcorn, soda, hot dogs, nachos, and slushies. The ticket can buy quite a bit of stuff. Kids walk away with a bag of M@M's and 2 air heads or a bag of cookies and 4 blow pops. So, I'm not talking about a little bit of candy. The kids play two times a week so they get this candy every time they play. On Saturdays we have games at 8:30 in the morning so by 9:30 they are already stuffing themselves with a bunch of garbage. Am I the only one who thinks this is strange? It really bothers me. The kids are out playing soccer - learning to exercise and at the end they walk away with a handful of candy, a soda pop or plate of nachos. It's so strange to me and I never sense that anyone else is really bothered by it. It's not like kids don't get enough junk food already and then when they are actually off their bottoms and away from the T.V. we are still promoting unhealthy lifestyles!!! STRANGE!!

11 comments:

Hindmarsh Family said...

That does not happen in TX at soccer games... but most people don't play soccer and melt in the heat!! Houston is the fattest city in America afterall! It would bother me more because here we have a kids with special issues with carb intake and then we have to be "fair" when a sibling has a special treat... and when that "treat"means every soccer game... I think I would go crazy! It is hard to juggle all the junk that kids eat these days with a balanced, healthy eating example. School lunches are also a joke! Crazy.... How much of your registration cost goes toward buying all the junk food?? Sounds like it is time to voice your opinion with the soccer organizers. There are some things in life you choose to do... other things you are "called" to do... and things that you are forced to have to do.... I am so sorry. What a bummer!

Alisa said...

Amen!!! I think it's ridiculous too! I think you should voice your opinion!

Amy said...

I have voiced my opinion. I wrote into the AYSO and if I don't hear anything back I will try to track someone down a different way. It bothers me sooooo much!

Liz said...

amy, i agree! it seems really strange that they do this and i'm glad you said something. "fight, fight to the death!"

Alicia said...

I read this a couple of days ago and have been really bugged by it. There are so many people working so hard to teach proper eating habits to kids, it blows my mind when things like this happen, don't they realize the message they are sending. Good for you for expressing your opinion. We have parents bring drinks and a snack for after the game and I was very happy with this until one mom brought full size candy bars, what's up with that, they're 5 years old.

AmyJune said...

That is very disturbing. Good for you for taking action. I'll be sure to reward you by sending some candy in the mail right away.

paulak said...

Carrot sticks, apples, water, where did it all go. I support your opinion 100% and if you ever need backup voices and am willing to offer mine. Thanks for the post.

Ryan and Brittney said...

Amy, what's the age limit to play in the league and get the golden ticket?....and twice a week?! Do you think I could sign up? :) ....oh, and do I have to PLAY to get the ticket, or can I ride the pine and still get it? ...ps the succo de maracuja was awesome, thanks!
--Ryan Martin

Kim said...

Amy,
I think it's pretty odd. We do fruit at half-time and goodies at the end. Usually the goodies are a healthy thing and a junky thing. It does seem ironic to reward exercise with junk.

Ralph and Teresa said...

You know me. I love sweets and treats! But even I would complain! Really!! Moderation in all things!

jenny said...

Hi Amy- I'm your sil Emily's sister. My son plays AYSO in Arizona & we do not have this policy. We do a healthy snack at halftime (oranges or grapes) and for after game there is also a snack & drink chosen by the parents. We have a rotation chart with the parents. The food thing must be regional. Just thought I'd share.