Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lucy Speaking Portuguese

For a long time we have felt like Lucy has understood a little bit of Portuguese. And, other than "oi", "tudo bem", and "chao" she really hasn't been speaking Portuguese. However, we have suddenly realized that she understands more than we thought and is now starting to speak it. The other day I was speaking to our neighbor - all in portuguese of course. She told me how she had to go to the doctor (medico) because her daughter wasn't feeling well. After the neighbor went back into her home Lucy turned to me and said, "that's too bad they have to go to the doctor." She understood that the baby was sick and knew where they were heading. This has happened many times. She listens closely to conversations Andy or I will have with other people -in person or on the phone and then she always asks questions about those conversations indicating she knew exactly what we were saying. Then this weekend she asked Andy if they could play in Portuguese. So, she and Andy began conversing back and forth in Portuguese while they played. Lucy threw out a few terms that I am still not sure how she knew! And today she did the same with me. We were playing house and she was speaking in Portuguese and I was talking in English. She finally looked at me and said, "No mom! We are speaking only in Portuguese!" It is very cute. I know she will forget it all very soon but it is cute to watch.

9 comments:

Katie and Eric said...

AMY...that is amazing that Lucy understands and speaks so well. They say that it is a lot easier for kids. What a fun experience! We miss you guys!

Jessica said...

that is so cool. how much longer will you be living in brazil? i bet she remembers portuguese for longer than you think. kids are kind of amazing like that!

Liz said...

i love it! you should have andy keep speaking to her when you get home so she can be the cool bilinual girl!!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

That really is awesome...maybe she will keep it up if you and andy keep talking to her in portuguese. That would be super cool! Funny about ethan sleeping under his bed. I think I would've been terrified of doing that. Afraid of not being able to breathe and getting stuck! (About the post on my blog...we would love to got to dental school in SA, but it is really hard to get in there. Only 10 kids from out of state get in there every year. Plus tuition is 18,000 a year versus the 65,000 or so for most other dental schools. So we shall wait and see.)

Alisa said...

So impressive!! That's really cute!

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome! You've got to videotape it so she can watch it some day.

AmyJune said...

Parabens Lucy!!!!! Quem sabe, talvez ela vai fazer uma missao um dia no Brasil.

rachellekc said...

WOW! That is really amazing! I wish I could learn like that. Kids are really like little sponges soaking everything up. IT's cute how she likes to play in portuguese. Very Fun.

ANJ said...

what an amazing opportunity for her... i am so jealous of all the little bilingual kids that run around. sigh. keep her going!