Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lucy starts school

Lucy has recently started going to an all Portuguese speaking school. I have been attending with her for the last 5 days. However, today I stayed just for a little while and then left her. She cried a little as I left but then managed just fine. For anyone who really knows Lucy, this is a BIG step for her - especially given she doesn't speak Portuguese. We did teach her the most important words like water, bathroom, and more (for snack time!!). She attends 5 days a week from 8:30-11:30 am. (unfortunately they don't do pre-school just 2 or 3 days a week like they do in the states) The school is perfect for her given she doesn't speak the language. It's a very hands on type of learning. They do a lot of learning through play and don't spend lots of time at a desk. Lots of kids attend the school but there are only 5 other kids in her class. So, she gets lots of time with her teacher and her classmates are so kind to her. They are always holding her hand to walk to the next thing they are doing and are always calling for her to play with them. Lucy, of course, can't speak to them. So, a few days ago as she was leaving she said "chao" to everyone. They all looked in amazement and gave a big cheer. They were so happy to hear her speak Portuguese! It was cute. Here she is sporting the uniform she has to wear everyday. She loves it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy--that is really great for Lucy. It's a big transition to start preschool in your own language, so I'm proud of her (and you!) for doing so well with this transition! I'm sure all the little kids love her. I can't wait to hear her speaking Portuguese once she has learned more! I'll have to teach Lydia how to say Chao!

Alisa said...

The only thing I can ever say is, "Cute!!!" Seriously though, your kids are adorable! Who couldn't love that little grin?!!

Jessica said...

how cute! i'm so jealous, i wish there was a preschool i could put ethan in 5 days a week. sometimes i think his behavior issues would be solved if we had a daily break from each other! oh well. lucy is a doll. i'm sure she'll be picking up portuguese in no time.

Ralph and Teresa said...

Oh,my...Lucy is DARLING!! I want to give her a great big hug!! Love, Mom

Liz said...

That's awesome, amy. She is such a big girl!! Way to go Lucy!

Katie and Eric said...

That will be such a good thing for Lucy! She looks so cute in her uniform. I am sure that all of the kids just love her. Hope you guys are getting adjusted to being in Brazil.

Elizabeth said...

I think it so cute that her class cheered for her when she said chao! What a great experience for your big girl.

ANJ said...

i met these two american families here in santiago who are living here for work (one of the guys is the principal of the international school and the other one works for kpmg). on friday, i got together with the 2 cute wives and their little kids. they both have 1 1/2 year old sons and adorable little blonde haired 3 year old girls with cute personalities. i told them about your family because you guys would have just fit right in! so in case andy gets the chance to transfer to santiago, i have a few built in families for you to meet :)