Thursday, October 27, 2011

Loved it - Hated it!



Owen was my biggest fan!! (I think that is just because I gave him my orange slices and granola cookies!)





Last month I ran a half marathon here in the twin cities with my brother in law, Ryan. I'm glad he made it happen. I was busy unpacking boxes when he sent me the info on it. He told me where to sign up and I did. I don't think either of us realized what a hard race we got ourselves into. Let's just say within a few short miles of starting the race it became VERY clear that my time did not matter- I would be happy to just finish the race. Yes, the Kansas City Marathon did flash into my head a few times during this torturous race! This half marathon was a trail marathon. I felt like I was back in the good old high school cross country days. At first I thought it was cool running on trails in the woods but then I realized that trails are fun for a 5K but not so fun for 13 miles. The entire race was either up or down. There were many times the trail was only as wide as my feet. I might have fallen 2.5 times! Let's just say I didn't look pretty when I fell. The entire race was long, hard, and hot but I did feel so so happy when I finished the race. I felt like I accomplished something really hard. I was so happy I was able to finish because when I saw my sister around mile 6 I really didn't think I'd be able to finish!
Even though it was really hard I am really glad I did it. Congrats to Ryan on finishing his first (but not last) half marathon! And thanks to my husband who took all the kids around town to 3 different soccer games and then let me come home and sleep for several hours!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Congratulations and great job! I'm always impressed by people that even attempt to do races, let alone complete them. :-)