When it comes to nursing I've heard some crazy things. I have had someone go as far as telling me if you hold your head a certain way and give a few special shakes (and it was demonstrated to me) you can keep your milk and get more to come in. There is NEVER EVER reason enough to switch to formula. About a month ago I was going to switch Jane to formula because she was waking up every couple of hours to eat and I just didn't think she was eating enough. However, I was guilted into continuing to breast feed. "Certainly a child with those cheeks is getting plenty from you" I was told. However, last Tuesday I woke up after getting little sleep and declared Jane was done breastfeeding. Well, easier said than done. She was MAD at me. She wanted nothing to do with a bottle. I felt awful and maybe a tiny part of me wondered if I should do the special body shake to bring in more milk. But, it was a fleeting thought and Jane would take a bottle or starve. I mean she will take a bottle if she gets really hungry right? It was a long day but finally by 2:30 in the afternoon and 3 different brands of bottles she gave in and took a bottle. She wouldn't allow me to hold her for the first two days which made me feel bad but at least I knew she wasn't starving. And surprise surprise she has been sleeping through the night. I guess those cheeks were misleading after all!! I am a fan of nursing and part of me is sad to give it up but I am also a fan of bottles and have found many benefits already to switching over.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
To nurse or not to nurse....
When it comes to nursing I've heard some crazy things. I have had someone go as far as telling me if you hold your head a certain way and give a few special shakes (and it was demonstrated to me) you can keep your milk and get more to come in. There is NEVER EVER reason enough to switch to formula. About a month ago I was going to switch Jane to formula because she was waking up every couple of hours to eat and I just didn't think she was eating enough. However, I was guilted into continuing to breast feed. "Certainly a child with those cheeks is getting plenty from you" I was told. However, last Tuesday I woke up after getting little sleep and declared Jane was done breastfeeding. Well, easier said than done. She was MAD at me. She wanted nothing to do with a bottle. I felt awful and maybe a tiny part of me wondered if I should do the special body shake to bring in more milk. But, it was a fleeting thought and Jane would take a bottle or starve. I mean she will take a bottle if she gets really hungry right? It was a long day but finally by 2:30 in the afternoon and 3 different brands of bottles she gave in and took a bottle. She wouldn't allow me to hold her for the first two days which made me feel bad but at least I knew she wasn't starving. And surprise surprise she has been sleeping through the night. I guess those cheeks were misleading after all!! I am a fan of nursing and part of me is sad to give it up but I am also a fan of bottles and have found many benefits already to switching over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Amy, I hear ya. Seriously. That is exactly how I feel. Both my boys I nursed for 6 months and then they were awake all the time, I felt like I was feeding them every hour to two hours and I wanted to shoot myself in the head or pull out all my hair or both. Seriously. After I switched them over to bottles they were like little angels and slept all night long. So anyway, I just wanted to let you know I am right there with you.
I think I must of shook my head that certain way with out knowing! I feel like a dairy cow!
Don't let people guilt you into anything. I had a friend whose daughter was not gaining enough weight and the doctor recommended feeding her formula.
For me, trying to nurse was a nightmare. Both of my boys were mostly bottle fed. They are healthy and doing just fine.
Just be ready to stand your ground because people love to voice their unwanted opinion on the benefits of breast feeding--even when they don't know you.
I would LOVE to hear about this special "milk" shake. Isn't that horrible that you feel guilty? You shouldn't. By the way, I know where you are coming from:)
If only you had a hidden camera when the special head shake was demonstrated. I would love to see that. So glad Jane is sleeping through the night.
Don't even feel guilty! People seemed to be more understanding of me bottle-feeding because I had twins, but there were still those people who loved to share their unwanted opinions with me. Nursing is wonderful if it works, but if it doesn't, it can cause a lot of frustration for the mom and a lot of hunger for the baby! You're doing the right thing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)
Will you demonstrate the milk shake?
A baby who sleeps = a happy baby and a happy mama! The same exact thing just happened to my sis. in law. I think mamas know best!
I love bottles!!! After Nursing Spencer 10 months, I decided to go straight to bottles with Landon! Life is awesome and I love being a mommy - seriously I'm already ready to have #3 b/c it's been so easy this time around! Bottle are a gift from heaven!
you gotta do, what you gotta do, right? i'm so glad she's sleeping better for you now! that is the hardest part of having a new baby is the lack of sleep.
nursing has always been so painful and difficult for me during the first few weeks (or months as the case may be) -- i can't even tell you how many times i just wanted to throw in the towel this time around. in the end my laziness won out as i'd much rather not deal with the hassle of having to mix up a bottle whenever the baby is hungry. HOWEVER, i can totally understand where you're coming from.
Post a Comment